Sunday, March 31, 2019

50 Ways to Leave Your Plussers

"Light precedes every transition. Whether at the end of a tunnel, through a crack in the door or the flash of an idea, it is always there, heralding a new beginning."
—Teresa Tsalaky

With the final days of Google+ being imminent, the people of the storied "ghost town" are becoming a small-d diaspora, scattering to various other social spaces.

Some of us are already out there, on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... Let us hope we bring the best aspects of our personae with us to inform these prior "selves," the ones that you may already believe you know. Each space has its own affordances, interfaces, and circles of contacts, influencing our interactions for better or worse.

Other former Plussers are branching out into less well-known spaces, seeking out old friends in new guises, or deliberately seeking a different experience. And still others are carving out a secure corner in their own thriving domains/spaces to accommodate the spirit that was G+. I'll mention and link to many of them as we get re-established.

For now, though, I have finally followed role models and friends such as Laura Gibbs, Terence Towles Canote, Keith Wilson, Clay Forsberg, and Bryan Alexander back into the blogosphere. You can see I've chosen the safe route of just cleaning up an old space from the early 2010s, and deleting the posts and widgets that don't hold up. Pardon the dust!

To be honest, though, I have plenty of online activity as it is on Twitter and Facebook. One major "why bother," impetus for my return to The Rift, is really that PLN friends/colleagues Kate Bowles and Benjamin Doxdator set off a spark a few days ago that deserves a response. I needed room to flex a bit. I'll get to it soon.

Meanwhile, look for me on Twitter as harmonygritz. Please don't take it (too) personally if I don't friend everyone I encounter on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment